Sunday, 3 March 2013

SOMERSET HOUSE: VALENTINO

Hi guys! I hope you are all well.

Yesterday, I went up to London with a friend and my mum. For absolutely AGES I had been wanting to see the Valentino exhibition at Somerset House, and I was beginning to think I wouldn't be able to go - as it ends today. But very spontaneously on Friday night, we arranged to go up the following day!

Wandering round London

Seen as you enter the Valentino exhibition


The Grid


We also had time to go in the Courtauld Gallery looking at Picasso's early works.



Writing this post on the way home!

We went up on the Train to Waterloo and wandered around London, snapping up a few photos to help with my Art for school. It was quite chilly across the Thames and with forgetting my gloves, my hands quickly went numb! 

As we hadn't got any tickets for the exhibition beforehand, once we got to Somerset House, we had to queue to get tickets for a later entry. - This was the start of a long day of queueing!
With the tickets then in hand, we walked through the Grid at Somerset House, where it was much more quiet compared to the scenes at LFW! 

We stopped off at the Courtauld Gallery, to see the exhibition of Picasso's work before he turned to Cubism, as well as going through the rooms of German expressionism and the renaissance. - From Degas, to Manet, there were many famous artworks to look at.

After a stop at Bella Italia for lunch, we headed back to the Valentino Exhibition and it definitely didn't disappoint! There were 137 dresses spreading over 7 decades, all from Valentino's Haute Couture collections. The exhibition felt like you were walking down a catwalk, with either side filled with the gorgeous dresses and outfits, with tags next to outfits showing who had worn what on the red carpet. There were so many dresses I loved and wanted to wear! From lace to velvet and monochrome to sparkly numbers. All the dresses; whether made in the 50's or in the 90's, were timeless and you could imagine being worn in every era! - Giving me ideas for prom!?

Further on in the exhibition, there were videos and samples of some of the techniques used on the dresses, which I would one day like to try out myself. Many had been innovated by Valentino himself, especially a pale pink jacket made entirely out of fabric circles build up on top of each other. This meant as you moved, the jacket created a movement of its own. It really made you see the difference in Haute Couture, showing the most minute detail covered and sewn perfectly.

It was an amazing exhibition of Valentino's work, I had hoped to pick up postcards of some of the dresses or even a book, but there seemed to be only a few postcards to choose from and there was no book that showed any of the pieces in the exhibition. Other than that, it was a great day and I hope to go back to London very soon.

Kat xx


No comments:

Post a Comment